Monday, October 09, 2006

Lights! Camera! Smile!

Finally! A picture of Stella smiling. Need I say that this smile lights up my world?

Thanksgiving today -- this is my favorite holiday. Food (and lots of it), communion with family and friends, a gentle reminder to embrace gratitude, and very little consumerism. Ah, perfect. I cooked an gigantic organic turkey (turkey recipes, anyone?!), brined overnight. Served with yeast-free apple-pecan stuffing (I am trying to reduce the yeast in Francis' diet to see if that helps his eczema), lemon-hazelnut green beans, maple roasted yams, and a dried berry/bacon/tomatoe salad with a simple vinegrette. For dessert I made an apple-cranberry tart and a tofu-pumpkin pie. Yum!

Speaking of gratitute, I am in love with this. Maybe it's the breastfeeding hormones, but I was in tears the first time I saw it. When we moved back to Calgary from Seattle, I was struck by just how unfriendly the city is. In Seattle, people will smile at you in the street. And even say hello! Good morning! And let you in in traffic! Imagine that, Calgarians! Since moving back to Calgary it has been my (personal) mission to -- gasp! -- smile at people when walking. I think that I should start to keep tally, because it is remarkable how many people don't smile back, or even look away. (Careful, honey, she smiled at us, she must want something! Hold onto that purse!)

So, smile, people!

No comments: