Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Working Mother


Ever read "Working Mother" magazine? They make it seem so effortless and glamourous. Throw on that Anne Klein blazer! Storm the CEO's office! Dress that child in Paul Frank!

So ... Where's the puke on the (new) blazer? Storm the CEO's office?! (He doesn't even know you exist -- and doesn't want to, either). The child is lucky to be dressed at all, let alone in designer duds that s/he will outgrow in, oh, 2 seconds. (Do the daycare workers talk about me? As in, did she not notice the very obvious stain on her child's clothing?!)

Yes, I am going back to work. And the children will be going to two different daycares because I need more stress and confusion in my life. Seriously, the childcare situation in Calgary is grim. You can expect to pay a live-out nanny ~$2800/mth (that is before the required benefits, taxes, vacation pay, etc.) -- that is, if you can find one. Finding a daycare is a logistical nightmare which comes close only to finding a doctor. Or launchng a miltary campaign. If you call a daycare, and they have room for your child, you know you don't want to go there because there is a reason that they have room (i.e., it is something out of Oliver Twist. You want more porridge?!).

I thought it would be easier to transition Stella into daycare because I have already been through it once with Francis (the tears, the tantrums -- mine, and his). But it's not. It's hard. She's my baby, and she needs me, damn it. I worry. I'm anxious. I mean, I have done everything I can think of to help her (find a good daycare, find daycare support, find therapy), but still. Am I doing the right thing?

I need to learn to channel all this worrying and anxiety into something positive. Like writing Mr. Harper and thanking him and his government for his total and complete lack of support for Early Childhood Learning. (Um, is Mrs. Harper willing to come mind my children for my $100/mth "childcare initiative"?)

No comments: