Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Holler-ween


Sometimes when I am struggling with Francis, trying to persuade him to do something that is "fun", I have the presence of mind to ask myself whether I want to do do the something for him or for me. Like music lessons. Like playdates. Like Hallowe'en.

Francis has been having anxiety attacks and nightmares about Hallowe'en for about 2 months now. He was freaked out last year (it took 2 of us to wrestle him into his lion costume, and we only perserved because it took me 2! months! to sew the damn thing!) but I didn't fully grasp just how freaked out he was until the anxiety attacks started about it. He was so relieved when I finally clued in and told him that if he wanted, he could just stay home. But, see, Francis is a boy conflicted. Because although he is terribly afraid of the dark and of teenagers in Dark Vader costumes, he is seriously in love with sugar and candy in all forms. He dreams of treats with additives ending with the suffix -ose.

So. Off we went (Francis, Stella and I) down the hill to celebrate Hallowe'en with a friend in Bridgeland. All was good, Francis was having fun playing with Vanja's toys until we tried to go out trick-or-treating. Monika wrestled Francis (literally) into the lion costume (I did make him a new costume! a king! and he wasn't interested -- apparently Hallowe'en = lion now). And we dragged the kids along for about 2 blocks. We went out later than I had hoped, as I had wanted to avoid the (scary!) big kids and the dark-darkness. And it was damn cold, as per a Hallowe'en in Calgary.

The photo above is the only picture I have of Francis for this Hallowe'en. He really enjoyed the pumpkin carving. (He drew pictures of how he wanted the pumpkins to look and I "interpreted"). I was too busy negotiating with one child or the other to take pictures this Hallowe'en. Here is a picture of Stella, in the bear costume/bunting that her brother wore for his first Hallowe'en.


Big bear and little bear. How I love my baby bears!

No comments: