Sunday, August 13, 2006

Diaster Averted


I am totally and completely addicted to Catherine Newman's blog Bringing Up Ben & Birdy. Her wry humor and naked honesty about the twins of love and frustration of raising children grounds me. She is my crack cocaine, my PMS chocolate, my beacon during my 3AM anxiety attacks. Her blog entries are officially posted on Mondays, but I start stalking the website on Wednesdays in the hope that it will be posted early. (Yes, I had trouble saving my Hallowe'en and Easter candy, too). She also has a book, Waiting for Birdy: A Year of Frantic Tedium, Neurotic Angst, and the Wild Magic of Growing a Family, which of course I sat up until the wee hours one night and read in one sitting (that is, after I had ripped it from the bewildered mailperson's hands).

So, anyway, when I learned that the Ben& Birdy blog was being cancelled, I fell to the floor in a writhing mess, screaming, NOOOOOOOO. (The Mommy equivalent of waking up and finding all the Thomas trains gone). But, miraculously, I found out that the blog was being continued on the new Wondertime magazine website as Dalai Mama. Wondertime magazine is a bit like RealSimple for parents (read, mothers). A magazine about "simplicity" filled with advertisements for stuff. And really, I have more than enough stuff -- what I need is more sanity. More patience. A listening ear. Which is why I love Brain, Child magazine (thanks, Michelle!). It speaks the truth to me more than an article on the 10 best ways to whatever (fill in the blank here -- discipline, feed, outfit) does.

No comments: