Monday, August 21, 2006

Lions and Tigers and Bears ... Oh My


Lions ...

Bears ...


What are you afraid of? I am afraid of poverty (it's not as glamourous as it seems), of illness (it's not as noble as advertised), but most especially, of losing my kids.

I work hard at trying not to trivialize Francis' fears, although I do sometimes find them cute or funny. I remember how REAL my fears as a child were, and how my mom would try to reassure me by dismissing them, resulting in my feeling more alone and small.

Here is a partial list of Francis' fears:
--Monsters (lurking everywhere but especially in his room at bedtime);
--Ghosts (Hallowe'en is still very scary);
--Dogs (Francis is very afraid of dogs after being attacked by two unleased "friendly" golden retreivers);
--Strangers (this is OK with me);
--Heights (also OK with me);
--"Scary" videos (the seal eating the penguin in "The March of the Penguins" completely freaked him out);
--Bees;
... there's probably more.

This is what Stella is afraid of ... the deadly purple elephant! If you squeeze him, he says, "Let's go to the zoo! There's lots to see and do! Lions, tigers, elephants and bears! And even a monkey with a banana to share!". For some reason Stella is inconsolable after this speech. Oh, and being away from Mama.

What are you afraid of?

No comments: